Saturday 5 May 2012

Going green.

Now I consider myself to be quite a Eco-friendly person. I recycle where I can, used cloth nappies with both my kids and walk unless I need to. However I do admit I don't go out of my way to buy organic or Eco-friendly shopping. For two reasons, 1 - its usually nowhere near as good as the chemical filled stuff, 2 - its usually twice the price. So when I was given the opportunity to test a new product range called 'Naturally powered' I wasn't expecting much. Theres lots of cleaning items in the range, washing powders, washing up liquid and an anti-bacterial spray, which is what I was given to try and is described on the website as follows:
Be tough on germs and bugs in the home with our antibacterial multi-surface spray. Made from plant-derived cleaning ingredients, it kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses, including E.coli, MRSA and Influenza A-H1N1 – ensuring surfaces are safe for all the family. The spray leaves surfaces streak free and has been dermatologically tested. Plus it's been performance tested to make sure it has the outstanding results you expect.
Its available in a 500ml spray bottle like this.

Based on the description and bottle it sounds very similar to my usual Dettol spray. This is described on their website as follows:
Dettol Surface Cleanser spray kills 99.9% of bacteria, including E.coli, Salmonella, MRSA and the Flu virus. With non bleach, no taint, and no odour, it is suitable to be used around baby equipment and food preparation tool.
Furthermore, Dettol Surface Cleanser is the only household cleaner to be recommended by Allergy UK as it removes 90% of allergens, such as pollen particles, dust mites and pet dander


So for the sake of this review, I'll be comparing these two products on what I think is important. First off:
Smell - This is the first thing I notice when I use it obviously, and it's nice to have something to combat the garlic/burnt toast/curry smells I'm often cleaning up in the kitchen. The Dettol smell is subtle perfume ish smell. Nice enough really. Naturally powered is definitely citrus, again subtle but both are enough to get the smells off my counter :) Both good but I'll award first point to Naturally powered as it doesn't make my nose tingle. lol.
Dettol - 0 Natually powered - 1

Cleaning - Both seemed to clean my kitchen counter well, :) left it clean and shiny, so I decided to put it to a tougher test. Dried porridge. Now I maintain if we ever run out of concrete in the world, dried porridge will work just as well! Was a nice treat for the kids this morning as its usually a weekend breakfast lol, so this review works all round. :) Cameron was as neat as usual, Caitlin however still manages to get most of it on the table which never fails to amaze me. Anyway, left the mess while I did the dishes then came back with a spray bottle in each hand. Spray on, leave a moment, wipe. No more porridge! Have to admit I was pleasantly surprised that the eco spray worked just as well as its chemical cousin.
Dettol - 1 Natually powered - 2 (only fair to give one each as both worked well)

Killing bugs - Obviously I can't see this, and going by the information given both seem to kill the same bugs. However a slight edge goes to Dettol for killing allergens as well as bacteria.
Dettol - 2 Naturally powered - 2

Price - So we have a tie! Both seem to work well and smell nice, so the tie breaker will be price. Like I said before I usually find you pay through the nose for eco products so lets have a look.
Dettol anti-bacterial spray, 500ml - £2.02. Naturally powered anti-bacterial spray 500ml - £1.80. Its actually frigging cheaper!
So final score
Dettol - 2 Naturally powered - 3  

Think I'll be changing from now on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. :)