Sunday 3 March 2013

Pick your precious

Well this month on pick your precious I'm doing something a little different. Being away on a retreat theres not much here to pick so I had to think about it, then I thought, well my friends are precious to me so that counts I'm sure!

Some people might find it strange, I don't see them very often at all, I've only met some of them once or even twice but yes I class them my friends :) We often speak online and if I have a problem I know I can post there and get some support and advice and really thats what a friend is about. We share good times and bad and they're all a cracking laugh :)
It started when Mark got sick, I lost all my friends as they found it hard to understand what it was like caring for him. They would expect me to still go out whenever or have them round as much which I just couldn't do. I was really isolated and depressed until I stumbled on UK scrappers. There you can talk on the main board or you can make little mini groups about specific topic, Lisa (at the back in the black top) made a group called 'twilight addicts' for anyone who loved the twilight films. Having watched it and loved it i decided to join. Was a small decision with very big consequences lol. The girls on there were so lovely and even though it wasn't 'going out' I would log on each morning with a cup of coffee and sit and have a chat. I felt more like a person again, not talking to only babies or poorly hubbys all the time. It gave me somewhere to go when I needed to vent, or the many nights when Mark was in hospital and I was up with a crying child and feeling very alone.
Well after talking for ages online we decided to do a retreat a couple of years ago. I admit it was a bit daunting going to stay in a cottage in the middle of nowhere, what if they hated me, what if we didn't get on? But it was amazing, we all had a similar sense of humour and had a great time. Sadly I missed last years but am very glad I managed it this year :) Besides doing loads of layouts I've had a wonderful time, laughing, gossiping and socilising :)
The internet may cause a lot of problems but if it wasn't for the world wide web I never would have met such a lovely, funny, kind, group of people :)

18 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike & friendship is my precious this month too! I agree totally thet the internet is a great way to hook up with like minded people & I'm not surprised at all to hear that you all got on in real life too! Have a wonderful time at the retreat & TFS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a secret ambition to go on a retreat. For someone who doesn't go out of the house on her own this might seem a bit daft but I am sure that being with other scrappbookers will help me in my quest for my life. I have loads of friends on this here intarwebby and I just know that one day I will make it.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends are so important and it looks like you have found a friendly group. I was interested in what you said about friends finding it difficult to deal with Mark's illness, as I have had a similar reaction while my younger daughter is ill. True friends are indeed very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to make friends! Lovely story. You gave me back hope (I feel pretty isolated right now…).
    Cheers from France

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gemma, I love this! It is perfectly precious. I hope you have all had a wonderful time this weekend: there are several retreats on this weekend and I must admit that I was feeling a little isolated myself as I knew so many of you were getting together. Your photo has cheered me up and made me feel like some of you are giving me a wave and it's much appreciated! You are so right, the internet has lots of advantages and I wouldn't be without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friends, whether old or new, is what keeps a lot of us going. I hope you have a wonderful time this weekend. I've never been on a scraping retreat but I do go on a quilting one. I imagine it is much the same with a whole lot of laughing and great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how lovely - and in that small world we have I know one of the people sitting on the bench (L) how fun. Hope your retreat was wonderful and there was lots of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww it was really lovely to have you come again this year Gemma and it was really fun sharing a room with you and Jess :) That photo is fab so many of us are pulling strange faces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely post Gemma :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Gemma and it was great to meet you. UKS rescued me when I was feeling isolated too xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was lovely having you back with us again this weekend Gemma xx Great photo of us all x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You all rescued me... the last year as you know has been tough physically and emotionally too but its friends like you that count!! Mr Wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed it and next year we aim to bring a tripod so Mr P can get in on the photo too!!! ;)

    love to you, Mark and the wee ones

    Lisa & Alun
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the internet is responsible for many wonderful and amazing moments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making friends on line via shared interests has allowed me to meet people who now make my life so much better xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a lovely post, friends are so precious x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Friendship is very precious and you a very lucky to have found such great friends. A friend is there for you when you need them, in good times and bad. They don't have to live near you and in some cases you never meet them. If you told someone you had a pen friend they wouldn't consider it strange and that is really all a chat room/blog friend is ... a high tech pen friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. :)